Office files from Deans Bennett M. Brigman and Fred L. Wilkinson, Jr. 1925-1947. These records cover a broad range of subjects, from physical plant concerns to academic and professional issues. Issues surrounding the physical existence of the School, including laboratory and stoker blueprints as well as information on other aspects of physical plant, are well represented. There are also subject files on academic aspects, such as evening and extension courses, co-op credit, and student aptitudes and abilities. Student life concerns are represented in files on fraternities and student organizations, including Pyramid, Alpha Pi, Sigma Tau Omicron, Sigma Omicron, and Theta Chi Delta fraternities, and the faculty committee on fraternities and sororities. Brigman's personal correspondence, 1918-1925, including correspondence relating to Alpha Tau Omega fraternity, is part of this collection. Wilkinson served as dean during World War II, and files from his administration deal with issues that arose in that context, such as the War Production Board, Selective Service, interaction with the Navy, and the GI Bill of Rights, as well as budgetary information for the war period. In addition, there are numerous files dealing with professional organizations such as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and the Society for the Promotion of Engineering Education (SPEE). This collection also contains annual reports from the 1930s and 1940s. Wilkinson's correspondence, 1939-40 is included as are numerous faculty files from the Wilkinson era.
University records more than 25 years old are generally open; however, some records may be restricted by statute or federal law.
- University of Louisville. Speed Scientific School (Creator, Organization)
32.25 linear feet (46 manuscript boxes & 32 half-manuscript boxes)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Brigman, Bennett Mattingly
- Deans (Education) Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Engineering schools Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Engineering students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Greek letter societies -- Kentucky -- Louisville Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Society for the Promotion of Engineering Education (U.S.)
- University of Louisville. Speed Scientific School
- Wilkinson, Ford L.