This collection consists largely of meeting minutes, although a variety of other materials are available, particularly from the Louisville Area Chamber of Commerce. The earliest material is from the Louisville Board of Trade, and consists of minutes (1862-1944 with some gaps), Board of Trade Journals, and information relating to the consolidation with the Commercial Club. The Commercial Club materials cover the period 1880-1916, and consists primarily of minutes from the period 1901-1916. The Louisville Area Development Association (LADA) is represented by board of directors and committee meeting minutes (1943-1950), and reports on a variety of topics. A small series on the "Committee of 100" which recommended in 1957 that the city and county merge is also available. The Louisville Area Chamber of Commerce records include minutes, correspondence, audio tapes, photographs, scrapbooks, news clippings and published materials.
The materials are in English.
Copyright has not been assigned to the University of Louisville
38.5 linear feet
This collection represents an accumulation of records of several organizations that preceded the Louisville Area Chamber of Commerce, now known as Greater Louisville, Inc. The Board of Trade was formed in 1862 and in 1916 merged with the Commercial Club, which had formed in 1887. Both of these organizations had interests along the lines of a chamber of commerce: they sought to promote Louisville and business within it. The Louisville Area Development Association was founded in 1943 by then-mayor Wilson Wyatt. This organization, with the Louisville Retail Merchants Association and the Convention Bureau, formed the Louisville Area Chamber of Commerce in 1950. In 1998, the organization changed its name to Greater Louisville Inc.
This collection is divided into 5 series, each representing one of the organizations represented in these materials. The fifth series, Louisville Area Chamber of Commerce, is further divided into material-specific subseries (e.g., Correspondence and minutes).