Biographical / Historical
In 1941, Doug Nunn moved to Kentucky from Kansas to take a position as a reporter for the Louisville Courier-Journal. Twenty years later (1961), Nunn was the Courier's city hall reporter. In pursuit of his duties as the city hall reporter, Nunn became interested in urban preservation with a particular interest in the part of Louisville currently known as the Old Louisville area. In March of that same year, Nunn approached his employer, Barry Bingham, Jr. who was also interested in urban preservation, and proposed a project for stimulating interest in the Old Louisville area. Bingham agreed with Nunn's idea and he, Nunn, and President Phillip Davidson of the University of Louisville met at the university to formulate plans for an association to revitalize interest in the area. A short time later, in March 1961, Nunn requested and received a leave of absence from the Courier-Journal in order to head the organization soon to be formed.In November of 1961, Nunn returned to his position at the Courier but maintained an active interest in the Old Louisville Association. In 1963, Nunn once again left the Courier to become the executive director of the Louisville Central Area Project and remained there for four years after which he returned to the Courier-Journal. During this same period, Nunn became involved, on a part-time voluntary basis, with a group called Restoration Inc. Most of this activity centered around 1965.Expressing boredom with his more or less administrative position at the newspaper, Nunn became involved with the University of Louisville Urban Studies Center in 1966. In 1969, Nunn once again left the Courier and went to work for the university in the Urban Studies Center and remained there until his retirement in 1983, after which he relocated to Arizona.