The University of Louisville Women’s Club collection spans the history of the organization from 1932 to the present. Materials include correspondence, meeting minutes, publications, financial records, and scrapbooks. Records include minutes, officers and committee material, copies of all publications, scrapbooks, and photo albums. News bulletins, the constitution and bylaws, and programs are also present. Publications include newsletters and directories for the years 1950 to 1972. Includes service manuals from 1976.
Open to researchers, though portions are unprocessed.
Copyright for some materials has been transferred to the University of Louisville; please consult a reference archivist for more information.
10.125 linear feet (4 records center boxes, 6 manuscript boxes, 4 flat boxes, 1 half-manuscript box; 1 unboxed volume)
The University of Louisville Women’s Club is a social organization that was designed to bring women associated with U of L together for fellowship and to promote the university’s interests. It was unofficially founded in 1928 when Mrs. S.M. Whitney, wife of the Dean of the Liberal Arts College, invited faculty wives to a monthly luncheon. It became an official social organization in 1929 and was first known as the “Faculty Wives Club.” The first president was Mrs. Charles Weston. In 1933, members decided to rename the organization “University Women’s Club” as well as invite female faculty members to join.
In their early history, the Women’s Club was known for their efforts throughout the community. They volunteered to help flood victims in the 1937 Flood in Louisville. In World War II, they were heavily involved in the war effort. In 1939, member Hilda Threlkeld suggested that the organization begin a student loan fund. This eventually became the Hilda Threlkeld Scholarship Fund which is funded through membership dues and donations. Currently, the Women’s Club concentrates on university-related projects.
Part of the University of Louisville Archives and Special Collections Repository