The papers date from 1800 to 1981. Much of it appears to be associated with Lucien Beckner's tenure as curator of the Museum. Series III contains some of Beckner's personal writings.
The materials are in English.
Copyright has not been assigned to the University of Louisville.
6.75 linear feet (5 records center boxes; 1 manuscript box; 1 oversized item)
The Louisville Museum of History and Science began in 1871 as the Natural History Museum. Its early existence was closely tied to that of the Louisville Free Public Library (LFPL), as it was closely connected to the LFPL's predecessor, the Polytechnic Institute. With the establishment of the LFPL at Fourth and York in 1908, the Museum moved into its basement. In 1957, it relocated to the former Monsarrat School, and in 1977 it relocated again to 727 W. Main Street (the old Carter Brothers building) and was renamed the Museum of Natural History and Science. Its name was changed once again in 1985, to the Museum of History and Science. In 1994, the museum's name was changed once again, becoming the Louisville Science Center; this reflected a changed emphasis on science exclusively. In Jan. 1994, Dr. Morison rescued these materials from the Museum located at 727 W. Main Street after they experienced a water problem. Information in the donor file indicates these items were offered as permanent addition to the holdings at UARC.
This collection is grouped in four series: Correspondence & Newsclippings, Donations, Beckner Materials, and Kentucky History & Geology.