Skip to main content

Wallace G. Mathis papers

Identifier: 2001_021-UA
The Wallace Mathis Papers consist of over 250 of his original cartoons, along with newspaper clippings about Mathis and about the Rugby University School. There are also several items of memorabilia from the Rugby University School.


  • 1934-1981



0.75 linear feet (1 manuscript box and 1 half manuscript box)

Biographical / Historical

Wallace G. Mathis, 1904-1981, was born in Collierville, Tennessee, where his father, C.M. Mathis was president of, and his mother taught music at, the Bellevue Female College. C.M. Mathis later founded the Rugby University School, a college preparatory institution housed in the old Starks Fielding mansion on the east side of Bardstown Road between Douglass Boulevard and Woodbourne Avenue, in the Highlands neighborhood of Louisville, Kentucky. The Rugby School was in existence from 1928 to 1948. Wallace Mathis began teaching at the Rugby School in 1930 and later became its headmaster. From 1933 to 1941, he also worked part-time as a cartoonist for the Louisville Courier-Journal. His daily cartoon, “Rollin’ Stone Says,” featured the folk observations of a philosophical small-town tramp. Mathis had honed his skills at Vanderbilt University, where he was cartoonist for the student publication while he earned his undergraduate degree. In 1948, Mathis became a trust officer and vice-president of Citizens Fidelity Bank and Trust Company, retiring in 1969. He died in 1981, at the age of 76.


Wallace G. Mathis Papers
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid is in English.

Repository Details

Part of the University of Louisville Archives and Special Collections Repository

Ekstrom Library, Lower Level Room 17
Louisville KY 40292
502 852-6752
502 852-6673 (Fax)