stablished in 1886, the Louisville District of the Corps of Engineers is charged with supporting the armed forces for national defense and managing water resources in parts of Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. The photographs in this collection document the activities of the Corps including navigation and flood control improvements on the Kentucky, Licking, Miami, Little Miami, Ohio, White, Wabash, and other rivers, floods, lock and dams, dredging, floating plants, dikes, and levee repairs. Also included are images of the Mississinewa River flood of 1913, the Ohio River floods of 1937 and 1945, construction of a World War II prisoner of war camps in southern Indiana and western Kentucky, views of Bowman field, and construction of Standiford Field airport in Louisville during World War II. The Photographic Archives preserves all the Louisville District Corps negatives.
The negatives are arranged in numerical order, by date. Index volumes list negative number, date and caption/location.
38000 negatives (Approximately 38,000 negatives (black & white, 8 x 10 inch and smaller, nitrate and acetate))