The period from 1871 to 1946 is documented by admission books, Board of Health materials, manuals, brochures, and reports for the 1930s, 1941, and 1942. The period from 1970 to 1983 is covered by files from the director's office, as well as the minutes of the administrative board and management council. Also present are contracts and agreements from 1948 to 1973. This collection also includes an index card file from the 1920s to 1977 of residents and interns at Louisville General Hospital listing the year of the appointment and the School of Medicine Department in which the person was assigned. The file was probably created from the original credentials files of residents and interns maintained by Louisville General Hospital prior to its reorganization as University Hospital in 1977.
Admission books and other records containing patient information are restricted under HIPAA; researchers are not permitted access until 125 years after the creation of the record.
46.25 linear feet (26 records center boxes, 1 manuscript box and 1 half-manuscript box; multiple bound volumes)
Louisville General Hospital provided the principal teaching and research facilities for the University of Louisville Medical School as well as most of the indigent care for the region. Louisville General Hospital began as Louisville Hospital Company in 1817, admitting its first patients in 1823. It was known as the Louisville Marine Hospital until 1849, when the U.S. Marine Hospital was built. From then on it was the Louisville City Hospital, until the name changed to Louisville General Hospital in 1942. In 1983, Humana Health Care took over the management and the name was changed again to Human Hospital University, and then to Columbia/HCA Hospital University as the parent company's name changed.