Skip to main content

Oak Hill Improvement Society records

Identifier: 2001_011-UA
The records consist of announcements of organizational meetings, minutes of an initial meeting, a list of organizers and officers, and the society's constitution. The records, totaling seven pages, were removed from a deteriorating bound 144-page volume. The remainder of the volume was empty.


  • 1891


Conditions Governing Access

Open to researchers.


0.1 linear feet

Biographical / Historical

The Oak Hill Improvement Society was a neighborhood association formed in Old Louisville in 1891. Membership was limited to residents and property owners on Fourth Street between Oak and Hill Streets. The group was founded to oppose unskilled trimming of shade trees and to improve police protection and property maintenance. Prominent Louisvillians of the era listed as members of the fledgling organization were Thomas Speed, John B. Castleman, Edward C. Humphrey, Morris B. Belknap, Judge Russell Houston, Henry J. Tilford, John B. Pirtle, E. W. Chamberlain, George G. Brown, William Short, E. T. Halsey, C. J. F. Allen, Louis R. Ferguson, John J. Otto, and George W. Gaulbert. All resided in the 1300-1500 blocks of Fourth Avenue.


Oak Hill Improvement Society Records
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid is in English.

Repository Details

Part of the University of Louisville Archives and Special Collections Repository

Ekstrom Library, Lower Level Room 17
Louisville KY 40292
502 852-6752
502 852-6673 (Fax)