The papers were assembled from scattered locations among the holdings of Kornhauser Health Sciences Library in 1983, in an effort to make them more accessible for research. The collection includes original manuscripts by the Yandells, and a number of printed pamphlets and journal extracts, as well as photocopies of article by and about the physicians.
.75 linear foot
Drs. Lunsford Pitts Yandell (1805-1878), and his sons David Wendell Yandell (1826-1898) and Lunsford Pitts Yandell, Jr. (1837-1884) were all medical practitioners in Louisville, KY and associated with the University of Louisville School of Medicine. The patriarch of this distinguished family taught chemistry and other subjects at Transylvania University (Lexington, Kentucky) before moving to Louisville to help found the Louisville Medical Institute in 1837. His eldest son David occupied the chair of surgery at the University of Louisville, founded and edited The American Practitioner, and served as president of the American Medical Association in 1872. David and Lunsford Jr. both served in the medical corps of the Confederacy. Lunsford co-edited the Louisville Medical News and taught clinical medicine and other subjects at U of L from 1869 to his unexpected death at age 47.