This collection consists of minutes, 1891-1895 and rosters, programs, and histories, 1958-1988.
.25 linear foot
The Louisville Surgical Society was founded on July 6, 1887 by twelve Louisville surgeons, with D.W. Yandell, Professor of Surgery and Clinical Surgery at the University of Louisville as president. The charter members agreed to hold monthly meetings at which the twelve members would present on the progress of their departments in the preceding year. In 1891 the membership limit was raised to fifteen. The society continued to meet in this fashion until 1931, when it was reorganized with new membership qualifications and no limits on the number of members. The D.W. Yandell annual lectureship was established in 1953.