The records of the organization include the constitution and bylaws, minutes, reports, financial records, programs, publications, directories, photographs, scrapbooks, and oral histories. The collection also includes material from the Women's Auxiliary and the Milk Commission. Most of these items came directly from the JCMS to the History Collections at Kornhauser Health Sciences Library in seven accessions between 1985 and 1995, but there were also three fairly large additional accretions; from the papers of Grady Rowntree, MD in 2013 and Eugene Conner, MD in 2014 and a large donation of material, including artifacts, in 2017 when the Society moved headquarters. The accretions from the personal papers were done because the JCMS material in the Rowntree papers was mainly printed and published items and Dr. Conner requested specifically that the JCMS items in his papers be transferred to this collection. Both men were active in the organization.
The Jefferson County Medical Society was founded in 1892 as a professional organization for local physicians. In the early 2000s the organization changed its name to Greater Louisville Medical Society.
No online items. Must visit contributing institution.
[Identification of item], Jefferson County Medical Society / Greater Louisville Medical Society Records, 1892-1985, Kornhauser Health Sciences Library, University of Louisville, Louisville.
[Identification of item], Jefferson County Medical Society / Greater Louisville Medical Society Records, 1892-1985, Kornhauser Health Sciences Library, University of Louisville, Louisville. https://archivescatalog.library.louisville.edu/repositories/3/resources/396 Accessed September 16, 2021.