Thomas N. Willis was born October 22, 1854 near Richmond, Madison County, KY. He was the second of four children born to William and Dorinda Willis. He attended Central University at Richmond. In 1875 he engaged in the mercantile business, shortly leaving that in 1876 to study medicine at the medical department of the Central University (Hospital College of Medicine) in Louisville, graduating in 1878. He was on staff at the City Hospital until 1880, then returned to Richmond to practice there for one year. He moved to Normandy in Spencer County, where he practiced until 1884, leaving there for Finchville, KY. He married Martha Norman of Spencer County in 1885. Sometime prior to 1900, the Willis’ moved to Louisville, where they remained. Dr. Willis was buried at Cave Hill Cemetery.
Dr. Frank C. Wilson was one of the founders of the Hospital College of Medicine in Louisville. He served the school as secretary-treasurer during its first decade, 1874-1884, and as treasurer until 1893. He taught principles and practice of medicine, physical diagnosis and specialized in diseases of the chest. Dr. Wilson retired in 1909, one year after HCM merged with the University of Louisville. Before joining HCM, he was demonstrator of anatomy at UofL 1871-74.
Born and educated in Virginia, Dr. Wilson served as an officer in the Confederate Army. Following the Civil War, he moved to Louisville.
Collection consists of black notebook containing notes on Frank C Wilson lectures. These notes received honorable mention for the Bennett H. Young Prize for the best notes of Professor Frank C. Wilson’s clinical lectures on diseases of the chest at the Hospital College of Medicine in 1878.