The Louisville College of Dentistry (LCD) was organized in 1886 as the Dental Department of the Central University of Richmond, KY. Its first session began with two faculty and eighteen students in January 1887 and graduated the first class of ten in June of that year.
The first location was at the Hospital College of Medicine on Chestnut Street, near Preston. The school moved to the corner of Brook and Broadway in 1900, where it remained until 1970.
The school remained a proprietary institution under the ownership of Dean William E. Grant until 1918 when Grant, in failing health, sold the school to UofL, and it was renamed the UofL School of Dentistry (ULSD). The school conferred upon its graduates a DDS until 1939 when the degree was changed to DMD to reflect all medical aspects of dental care.
In 1952 a Dental Hygiene program was added. There are some photographs and other information from that program in this collection.
ULSD / LCD University of Louisville School of Dentistry / Louisville College of Dentistry collection, KORN23. Kornhauser Health Sciences Library.
ULSD / LCD University of Louisville School of Dentistry / Louisville College of Dentistry collection, KORN23. Kornhauser Health Sciences Library. https://archivescatalog.library.louisville.edu/repositories/3/resources/785 Accessed June 25, 2021.