This body of experimental data documents some of the research on cardiac output conducted by Moore and Kinsman. Graphs for individual patients and for animal subjects predominate, but the records also include drafts of articles on the injection method of studying circulation and a small amount of correspondence, some with co-worker Dr. William F. Hamilton.
John Walker Moore (1884-1952) was born in South Carolina, graduating from Davidson College in 1906 with a B.S. He obtained his M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1912. He came to the University of Louisville in 1915, also establishing a private practice in internal medicine. After a stint in the Army, he returned to Louisville. He was named Chair of the Department of Medicine in 1923. When Stuart Graves, M.D. resigned as Dean, Moore served on the interim administrative committee for the School of Medicine. In December, 1928, Dr. Moore began serving as Dean and served for twenty years, the second longest Deanship of the School.
Moore was an expert internist, cardiologist, and an authority in blood chemistry. He was elected to the Association of American Physicians and was President of the Association of American Medical Colleges, 1945-1946. He retired as Dean in 1949. He remained the Alben W. Barkley Professor of Medicine until his death.
James Murray Kinsman (1899-1979), a native of Nova Scotia, Canada, earned his M.D. at McGill University in 1922, and interned at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Montreal. He subsequently was Instructor in Medicine at McGill and at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital. He later served at Yale New Haven Community Hospital before coming to Louisville as Chief Resident in Medicine in 1925. He served in the Medical Corps from 1942-1946.
Dr. Kinsman was a cardiologist whose early research on the human heart in the 1930s was outstanding. He was co-discoverer of a dye-solution method to measure the circulation of the blood, a technique that was standardized and used by researchers around the world.
In 1948, he was appointed Chairman of the Department of Medicine at the University of Louisville, moving to Dean of the School of Medicine in 1949.