Toward the end of World War II, managers at the Reynolds Metals Company, then headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, developed a post-war strategy to expand into a new market area of home improvement with the manufacture of windows, screen doors, storm doors, awnings, gutters, and siding. William E. Edwards Jr., then a clerk at Reynolds Metals, was one of several young entrepreneurs who determined to go into the "aluminum" business. He formed a distributorship, ALSCO, in 1946-1947 working at 1817 South Third Street. That company specialized in aluminum doors and windows. By 1949, ALSCO had moved to 339 E. Bloom and had added T. R. Federle as sales manager who was replaced by Chris B. Gruber two years later.
In 1952 Edwards added Roy Bruner as vice president and a second ALSCO Windows of Kentucky opened on Mellwood Avenue, with Nick Zentler as manager. The next year William E. Edwards, Roy Bruner, Chris B. Gruber and LeRoy W. Schultz formed the management team for a new manufacturing plant, the Aluminum Home Products Corp., located at 339 E. Bloom. Also listed as a vice president was Harold H. "Pee Wee" Reese, the famous Brooklyn Dodger baseball player. The first products marketed as Alhom were Triple Track Aluminum Combination Windows, Screens, and Aluminum Doors. Over the next few years, the product line expanded to include awnings, porch enclosures, and aluminum siding. In 1955 the manufacturing plant moved into an expanded facility at 5230 Preston Highway. The aluminum home improvement business grew by leaps and bounds. From a single listing in the 1946-1947 Caron's Directory of Louisville, the 1955 Caron's Directory of Louisville recognized ten companies specializing in aluminum windows and doors.