This collection contains materials from the Theatre Arts and Speech Department chronicling the activities of the Belknap Theater. The collection dates from 1916 to 1975 and includes programs/playbills, newspaper clippings, scene photos, and photos of people (headshots). Office records from the Belknap Theater Playhouse office dating from the 1950s to the 1970s are also included.
Open to researchers
The copyright interests are owned by the University of Louisville. Materials are restricted in accordance with federal and state statutes governing university records.
9.5 linear feet
Over the years, the theater company has had a variety of names including: the Dramatic Club (1910-1911), the University of Louisville Players (1914-1941), the University Players (1955- 1960), and Belknap Theatre (1960- present). Closely connected with these groups have been the community-oriented Alumni Players (1927-1932) and the Little Theater Company (1932-1960).
Accession 1976-083 (programs, 1958-1973) from Dept. of Theater Arts and Speech by transfer. Accession 1977-139 (general office files, 1960s-1970s) from Department of Theater Arts and Speech by transfer, 09-07-1977. Accession 1984-027 (head shots, 1930s-1950s) from Dept. of Theater Arts and Speech by transfer, 07-15-1983.
Programs from 1928, 1929 and 1930 received from Oscar Edson Starr in 1972.
Part of the University of Louisville Archives and Special Collections Repository