Consists of files and oral history tapes produced by Judi Jennings and Carl Ryant in the course of a project dealing with the Central Colored School. The Central Colored School was established in 1873, and the building was the first in Kentucky built specifically as a public school for African Americans. It was renamed the Mary D. Hill School in 1917, and was used as a school building until it closed in 1970. These papers consist primarily of materials relating to the grant obtained to fund the project, the process of having the school named a state historical site, and brief informational sheets completed by individuals having some affiliation with the school.
Central Colored School project files, 1999_111-UA, Box: 1. University of Louisville Archives and Special Collections. https://archivescatalog.library.louisville.edu/repositories/2/resources/867 Accessed November 24, 2020.