The papers of Bernard S. Goldstein date 1937 to 1995. Although biographical content is limited in this collection, it does encompass Goldstein's devotion to Judaism, through his membership to various congregations and organizations and as a leader in the foundation of a local congregation. These papers show how Goldstein used not only his legal abilities but also his social position in the Louisville community to help benefit the local Jewish community.
There are three series to this collection. The biographical records give Goldstein's basic biographical sketch and a limited genealogy. The second series, the largest in the collection, deals primarily with Goldstein's affiliation to the various Jewish organizations through correspondence, newspaper clippings, and legal documents. The final series is composed of caricatures, jokes, poems and quotes and deals with miscellaneous material.
The copyright interests in the Bernard Sylvan Goldstein Papers have been transferred to the University of Louisville.
.5 linear feet (1 manuscript box)
Bernard Sylvan Goldstein was born in Louisville, Kentucky, May 16, 1914, to Louis and Eva (Liebermann) Goldstein. He attended Louisville Male High School. In 1936 he received his law degree from the University of Louisville School of Law. Upon admittance to the Kentucky Bar, he joined the law practice of Ropke, Goldstein, Lampe, and Poynter (now Goldstein and Poynter), becoming a partner in 1944. On December 24, 1939, Goldstein married Helen Novitsky, a graduate of the University of Michigan. They had two children, Lee David and Poppy Linden.
Goldstein's work as a lawyer was extensive. As previously stated, he became a partner in his firm in 1944. He was a member of the Kentucky Bar Association, the Louisville Bar Association, and the American Judicial Society. Goldstein also served in judicial position, mainly as a special judge in the Jefferson County Circuit Courts in Common Pleas. In 1978, Goldstein received the Distinguished Alumni Award from the University of Louisville School of Law. Goldstein also used his legal knowledge for the development of the Jewish community.
Goldstein emerged as a vibrant figure in Louisville's Jewish community. He advocated strengthening the Jewish community, proven by acting as District Director for the American Zionist Organization (1936-1943), president of the District Board of Overseers for AZA B'nai B'rith Juniors (covering seven states), vice-president of the Bureau of Jewish Education (1955-1957), Director of the Jewish Community Center for sixteen years, and as one of the founders of the Four Courts, a Hebrew retirement community. He also belonged to the Jewish Education Association, the Young Men's Hebrew Association, and Louisville Lodge #14 B'nai B'rith. A devoted member of Congregation Adath Jeshurun, Goldstein was one of the driving forces behind the building and dedication of their new temple during his term as president of Adath Jeshurun (1955-1957). The new temple was dedicated September 20, 1957. When his term as president ended at Adath Jeshurun, Goldstein and his wife continued their dedication to the congregation, further developing its financial and educational programs and the Adath Jeshurun sisterhood.
Bernard Goldstein died August 13, 1994, after numerous years of service to both his city and his Jewish community. He and his wife celebrated 54 years of marriage. Goldstein was survived by his wife and two children.