Biographical / Historical
Howard Clifton Griswold was born in Louisville, Kentucky, on February 28, 1866, to Howard Morton Griswold and Anna Clifton Grant Griswold, both Kentucky natives. Griswold attended Louisville public schools and after graduation, entered the Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, New Jersey, where he obtained a degree in civil engineering.
In 1889 Griswold accepted his first position in the engineering department of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. He stayed with the L&N until 1895, first in Louisville and then in Lebanon, Kentucky. Griswold’s next post was with Illinois Steel Company as an assistant engineer in Chicago, Illinois, from 1895 to 1915. When his father died in 1915, he returned to Louisville to head the printing firm of John P. Morton and Company. This company was established by Griswold’s grandfather and his brother-in-law in 1826 and remained in the family until it closed in 1943.
Griswold was active in the Louisville community. He was devoted to the city as well as to its institutions and people. He participated in the Community Chest and many other local projects. He was a faithful member of Christ Church Cathedral, where he used the same pew as his grandfather, Solomon K. Grant, one of the original vestrymen. He was also a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, the American Iron and Steel Institute, the Transportation Club of Louisville, the Ben Franklin Club and the Audubon Country Club.
Griswold married Mec McIntyre Young of Thomasville, Georgia, on November 16, 1898, and she died in 1914. On January 10, 1925, he married Mary Rush Lewis of Nashville, Tennessee. Together, they had three children, Charlotte Lewis, Anna Grant and Mary Clifton, all of whom attended Louisville schools. Howard Clifton Griswold died on January 29, 1941, in Louisville.