The institution's records include printed materials dating from the 1890s, scrapbooks from the 1920s, minutes of meetings and correspondence - some from the predecessor organizations - from 1860s, photographs dating from the early twentieth century, financial records from the 1910s and 1920s, and organizational and legal records dating from the 1910s.
Founded in 1890 as the Jewish Young Men's Association, the organization united several Jewish groups. Distiller and philanthropist Isaac Wolfe Bernheim (see also Isaac Wolfe Bernheim papers) first called the group together; shortly afterwards the name was changed to the Young Men's Hebrew Association. In the mid-1950s the organization moved to the suburbs and changed its name to the Jewish Community Center. Included in the collection are issues of the illustrated monthly YMHA Chronicler from 1913 to 1926, which documents the local Jewish community during the 1910s and 1920s.
Two scrapbooks containing clippings from the YMHA Chronicler-Spokesman and local newspapers concerning YMHA athletic and social events are also available on microfilm (project #87).
YMHA Chronicler, 1913-1926, available in microfilm from: University of Louisville Archives; project #30.
[Identification of item], Jewish Community Center Records, Archives and Special Collections, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY.
[Identification of item], Jewish Community Center Records, Archives and Special Collections, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY. https://archivescatalog.library.louisville.edu/repositories/2/resources/43 Accessed June 22, 2021.