Skip to main content

Kamp Kaintuck records

Identifier: 2003_039-UA

These records document the organization and history of Kamp Kaintuck, a private men's fishing club based in Louisville, Kentucky, which owns property in Canada to which the members and guests travel for fishing trips in the summers. The 4.50 linear feet of records date from 1894, almost twenty years before the club's incorporation.


  • 1894-1992


Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in the Kamp Kaintuck Records have not been transferred to the University of Louisville.


4.50 linear feet

Organizational history

Kamp Kaintuck, a privately owned fishing camp, is located on an island near the conjunction of the Pickerel, French, and Wahnapatae Rivers in Ontario, Canada. This wilderness spot, near the Georgian Bay, has been the site of an annual fishing trip for a group of Louisville business and professional men since 1912, when they purchased this island and had a house built there. Prior to 1912 the club had camps on two separate sites on another Canadian lake, Lake Ah-mic, the first from 1892-1894, the second from 1895-1911. The organization, incorporated in 1913, had been taking trips up north for the purpose of fishing and relaxation since 1881 and can even claim origins back to 1870 when three friends on a trip to Canada developed the idea for a permanent camp.

The time spent at the camp is highly valued by the members and guests of Kamp Kaintuck as an escape from the world of business and professional concerns. The men speak of the beauty of the sun sparkling on the water and the fun and comradeship of fishing together during the course of their stay. Although the camp has been updated with electricity and piped-in water, it is distinctly separated from civilization by the absence of cars and telephones. Days of fishing and exploring the area and evenings of card games, story-telling and homegrown entertainment keep these transplanted Kentuckians content.

In the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries the members and their guests travel north by car, but in earlier years the transportation was via a private railroad car from Louisville to Canada and then by barge to the campsite where the campers stayed for three weeks each summer.

The men stay in a lodge with dormitory style sleeping arrangements. For many years they brought along their own chef from Louisville, but in later years they hired someone local to take care of the cooking. Initially, local Native American guides were employed and fishing was done from canoes. Later years brought college students, hired to assist with boating, care of the motors, as well as the rest of the heavier duties. Another change was the institution of two concurrent ten-day camps each summer rather than the original twenty-one day stays.

Days at camp are spent fishing, followed by group dinners and evenings spent in such quiet pursuits as card playing, reading, or contemplation, or more boisterous entertainment such as fun-filled noisy songfests or skits. The campers are not above playing practical jokes to keep the others on their toes.

Although the physical camp is only open for three weeks each year, the members spend time together throughout the year. They hold monthly dinner meetings to share fishing and "fish" stories as well as just to be together. They plan the next years' camp, appointing a captain and various committees to take care of all the needs of the campers. They also spend their time reminiscing about previous camps.


The collection is divided into seven series: I - Legal Records (1913-1985) .25 linear feet; II - Organizational Records (1913-1990) 1.25 linear feet; III - Membership Records (1894-1991) .75 linear feet; IV - Correspondence (1923-1990) .25 linear feet; V - Kamp Activities (1894-1990) 1.00 linear foot; VI - Scrapbook and photographs (1890s-1986) .75 linear foot; VII - Oral Histories (1991-1992) .25 linear foot.


Kamp Kaintuck Records
Archives Staff
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid is in English.

Repository Details

Part of the University of Louisville Archives and Special Collections Repository

Ekstrom Library, Lower Level Room 17
Louisville KY 40292
502 852-6752