Kentucky Southern College records include board of trustees' minutes, presidential correspondence, development records, yearbooks, and student literary magazines. Also included are papers collected by E. Bruce Heilman who served as professor of education, vice-president, and acting dean at Kentucky Southern. Included are printed material, news clippings, reports, and other materials relating to Kentucky Southern College.
The copyright interests are owned by the University of Louisville. Some materials may be restricted in accordance with federal and state statutes governing university records.
24.1 linear feet
Kentucky Southern College was a Baptist undergraduate liberal arts college in the Louisville suburbs. The records document the history from 1955, when the Long Run association of Baptists in Louisville, Kentucky, approved a motion to study the need for an undergraduate Baptist liberal arts college in Louisville, through its opening in 1961 in eastern Jefferson County and its close in 1969. Kentucky Southern College (KSC) set out to offer a strong undergraduate curriculum guided by the belief that Christian education could be an integral component of higher education. Like many small, liberal arts colleges in an era of rising costs, Kentucky Southern experienced financial problems. In 1969, after a spirited but unsuccessful "Save Our School" campaign by students, the college closed and transferred its assets and liabilities to the University of Louisville. The KSC campus became the University of Louisville Shelby Campus.