This collection includes annual reports for Louisville, New Albany and Chicago Railroad and predecessors from 1853 to 1969, with some gaps; business ledgers and journals from 1864 to 1901; fourteen scrapbooks of company circulars and newspaper clippings from 1880 to 1953; historical material, including material relating to the railroad’s centennial in 1947; waybills for shipments heading to Brookston, 1891-1896; and stock certificates. Also included are cashbooks, waybills and other records from the Dyer, Indiana station.
Open to researchers
Copyright has been transferred to the University of Louisville; please consult a reference archivist for more information.
8.875 linear feet (3 records center boxes, 1 half-manuscript box and 13 flat boxes)
The Monon's earliest predecessor, the New Albany and Salem Railroad Company, was organized in 1847, making it one of the pioneer lines of the Midwest. In 1859 the line was reorganized as the Louisville, New Albany and Chicago Railroad. The line developed into a distinctive x-shaped pattern across Indiana. In 1897 it reorganized again as the Chicago, Indianapolis and Louisville Railway Company. The line changed its name to Monon in 1956. In 1902 the Louisville and Nashville acquired a controlling portion of the line's stock and finally absorbed the line in 1971.
Much, and perhaps all, of this material was originally received from the Louisville and Nashville Railroad Company in the 1970s and 1980s. It appears that over the years, Monon records received from other sources may have been added to this collection.