The Louisville Museum of History and Science began in 1871 as the Natural History Museum. Its early existence was closely tied to that of the Louisville Free Public Library (LFPL), as it was closely connected to the LFPL's predecessor, the Polytechnic Institute. With the establishment of the LFPL at Fourth and York in 1908, the Museum moved into its basement. In 1957, it relocated to the former Monsarrat School, and in 1977 it relocated again to 727 W. Main Street (the old Carter Brothers building) and was renamed the Museum of Natural History and Science. Its name was changed once again in 1985, to the Museum of History and Science. In 1994, the museum's name was changed once again, becoming the Louisville Science Center; this reflected a changed emphasis on science exclusively. In Jan. 1994, Dr. Morison rescued these materials from the Museum located at 727 W. Main Street after they experienced a water problem. Information in the donor file indicates these items were offered as permanent addition to the holdings at UARC.
This collection is grouped in four series: Correspondence & Newsclippings, Donations, Beckner Materials, and Kentucky History & Geology.
[identification of item], Louisville Museum of History & Science Collection, University of Louisville Archives and Special Collections.
[identification of item], Louisville Museum of History & Science Collection, University of Louisville Archives and Special Collections. https://archivescatalog.library.louisville.edu/repositories/2/resources/4 Accessed July 30, 2021.