This historically important railroad was chartered by Tennessee in 1845 as the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad Company. It was known popularly as "The Nashville." Reorganized only once, in 1873, renamed the Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Railway, the railroad operated successfully thereafter in an era when many failed. It never reached St. Louis, but stretched from Paducah, Kentucky, on the Ohio River to Atlanta, with branches crisscrossing Tennessee. The railway was bought by the Louisville and Nashville in 1880 and was finally merged with that company in 1956. This collection includes charters, bylaws, financing records of the early company, legal records, annual reports, and company magazines from the late 1890s until 1956. Also included are collections of historical files and files relating to other rail lines. A railway accident log for this railroad dating from 1880 to 1891 is also present on microfilm.
[Identification of item], Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Railway Records, Archives and Special Collections, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY.
[Identification of item], Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Railway Records, Archives and Special Collections, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY. https://archivescatalog.library.louisville.edu/repositories/2/resources/137 Accessed May 06, 2021.