The records consist of announcements of organizational meetings, minutes of an initial meeting, a list of organizers and officers, and the society's constitution. The records, totaling seven pages, were removed from a deteriorating bound 144-page volume. The remainder of the volume was empty.
The Oak Hill Improvement Society was a neighborhood association formed in Old Louisville in 1891. Membership was limited to residents and property owners on Fourth Street between Oak and Hill Streets. The group was founded to oppose unskilled trimming of shade trees and to improve police protection and property maintenance. Prominent Louisvillians of the era listed as members of the fledgling organization were Thomas Speed, John B. Castleman, Edward C. Humphrey, Morris B. Belknap, Judge Russell Houston, Henry J. Tilford, John B. Pirtle, E. W. Chamberlain, George G. Brown, William Short, E. T. Halsey, C. J. F. Allen, Louis R. Ferguson, John J. Otto, and George W. Gaulbert. All resided in the 1300-1500 blocks of Fourth Avenue.
Oak Hill Improvement Society records, 2001_011-UA. University of Louisville Archives and Special Collections.
Oak Hill Improvement Society records, 2001_011-UA. University of Louisville Archives and Special Collections. https://archivescatalog.library.louisville.edu/repositories/2/resources/886 Accessed October 17, 2021.