This collection is primarily comprised of administrative material accumulated by Taylor as a professor at the University of Louisville. Included are annotated minutes and reports of the Medical Council, material concerning the Graduate School, and Ph.D. petitions for various departments.
The first of his three boxes deals with various aspects of Taylor's administrative work, such as committee materials. For his files, Dr. Taylor kept minutes, petitions, and studies concerning Graduate School matters. For example, Box 1 contains material from the search committee to locate a dean of the Graduate School, notes from the Senate reorganization, and petitions to establish various Ph.D. programs.
Various drafts of the petition for a Ph.D. program in Biochemistry and the Medical Sciences are also included. Presented in 1956, these proposals were accepted by the Graduate Faculty Committee with amendments. The progress of this proposal is recorded in Box 1.
Box 2 contains material similiar to that in Box 1. Notable materials are a copy of the agreement between Norton's Infirmary and the University of Louisville, results of conclaves of medical school faculty, and reports of the Visiting Committee to U of L. Although not active in these particular matters, for his files, Taylor kept copies of Institutional Self-Studies. Finally, Box 2 ends with minutes or the Ad hoc Committee on promotions.
The bulk of John F. Taylor's material is copies of Medical Council minutes from 1952-1972. Annotated copies, memos and letters constitute the set of minutes. From 1962-1967 the annotated copies are integrated into the serials collection of the Medical Council minutes. Box 3 contains the other annotated copies. These are not quite a complete set, but are included to give the researcher an idea of the extent of Dr. Taylor's involvement in the Council.
Copyright has been transferred to the University of Louisville and there are no additional restrictions.
1.5 linear feet (3 manuscript boxes)
Dr. John Fuller Taylor came to the University of Lousiville School of Medicine in June of 1952 as Professor and Chairperson of the department of Biochemistry. Retiring in 1972, Dr. Taylor continued to teach courses in Biochemistry at the School of Medicine.